Friday, September 14, 2012

Thoughts on Benghazi

You all have heard about the violence in Benghazi. The death of Christopher Stevens, American ambassador to Libya. Sam Bacile's film about Mohammad. The protesting and ensuing violence. Even death.

One man's freedom of speech has inflamed half a world. 

I treasure my freedom as a American. I can say what I like, think what I like, write what I like. No one may take away that freedom from me; I am an American. 

We may wield our words as swords. We may kill and destroy and inflame, and no one will stop us. Our tongues can bring death. It's our basic right, this freedom of speech. 

My heart aches as I watch the violence and hatred burn across the globe tonight. I ache because I see lives destroyed. I see hearts forever closed. Friends that will cease to trust me simply because I am American. Lives cut short. 

Will we use our words to bridge gaps, to build up, to speak life into hearts? Or will we use our freedom to destroy?

I have nothing else to write tonight. I am praying for those affected by this tragedy, and for an end to the ridiculous violence. Will you pray with me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment