Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11 Eleven Years Later

Today marks eleven years since September 11, 2001.

It seems unbelievable that it's been that long. It feels like yesterday that I was sitting at my desk, incredulous at the horror unfolding so close to home.

The deep blue sky, cool weather. Total absence of air traffic, outside of the strange presence of military jets and helicopters. School let out early. Dad came home. Everyone seemed to be transfixed, frozen in a state of shock.

The pictures on the TV will forever haunt me. The unforgettable smell of smoke and jet fuel that hung in the air. Intentional mass murder. Flames. Destruction. It was as if my innocence was taken - I never dreamed man could be so savage, so ruthless, so murderous.

But I saw something else, too. Something beautiful. I watched my local neighborhood pack care packages for the families of those killed in NYC. I witnessed men that gave their lives to save victims from the wreckage. Firefighters that gave the ultimate, to save others' lives. These men had families, too - but they gave anyway.

I'm writing this tribute to those of you that suffered so immeasurably following the 9/11 attacks. Those of you that have lost family, husband, father, wife, mother, son, daughter; those of you that willingly, through tears, sacrificed your husbands for the lives of the victims he rescued.

I'm writing for those of you that labored at ground zero. The firefighters and police officers. All of the people that came together and gave so selflessly. Many of you have suffered ill health as a result. Some of you gave even your last drop of energy and blood to save lives. Maybe you were the child that gave a cold drink to a firefighter. To all of you - even the smallest, seemingly most insignificant hero - thank you.

I'm also writing for those of you that have suffered much fear, pain, misjudgment, prejudice and even hate crimes following the attacks. You were not responsible, and you felt the same horror and cried the same tears the rest of America cried - and yet you became the scapegoat for the tragedy. You, too, have suffered. Deeply.

No, I will never forget that day eleven years ago. Neither will any of you that lost a loved one in that tragedy. I'm praying for all of you today.  God is able to bring joy out of mourning, beauty for the gruesome ashes of tragedy. May God bless and comfort you with His peace!

To watch the live broadcast of the 9/11 Anniversary Webcast today at 8:30am EST, click this link: http://www.911memorial.org

No comments:

Post a Comment