Monday, September 19, 2011

Camping in the White Mountains of New Hampshire

    Hey folks! Just back from a week-long camping/sightseeing trip out in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.  That entire area is absolutely gorgeous, and I don't think I'll ever forget the view from below the mountains - surrounded on all sides by rocky, towering mountains that make one feel very, very insignificant.  
    I loved to stand in the center of one of the few open fields, and watch the sun rise over the pointy, rocky summit.  Sunsets were just as majestic, and seemed even dramatic as the sun went behind the mountain and the shadows took over.  Nightfall was always so peaceful ... the sun went down, the night birds took up their song, and the roar of the Pemigewasset River continued.  
    Of course we did have our exciting experiences as well.  Two bears, one of which climbed the side of our vehicle at night, and then climbed a tree in our camp site and hissed down at us.  Hiking on a trail that had been fairly destroyed by the recent hurricane, to a elevation of 3,500ft.  Swimming in a crystal-clear lake in the cold mountain air and shivering uncontrollably. Getting a look at the Old Man of the Mountain - New Hampshire's state symbol. 
    All in all, we had a great vacation week.  I marvel at all of the beauty that God has created.  But even more so, that He actively sustains and upholds every detail of it.  I had to laugh to myself, actually, as I gazed up at those mountains, so unmovable and unchangeable.  My God thinks nothing of moving those mountains into the sea.  That's nothing to Him! What a mighty God I serve!  I delight to be so small, so insignificant, so absolutely loved by a God like that. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment