Friday, July 29, 2011

Just a 'Normal' Week

Describe life at the moment? Noisy, tiring, busy, running, late, hurry, grab a bite to eat, out the door, keys in hand, where am I going?, keep awake at the wheel...... Life is crazy for me these days.  Running one thing to another, one place to another, one job to another, one thought to another (I think that's called scatter-brained..).  Teaching, babysitting, working, studying, language learning... and there's supposed to be something called spare time.  I guess I lost that somewhere along the way.

Most days I'm thrilling just to live.  I love life.  There's nothing I'd rather do, than to live life rejoicing in God and loving Him.  If you want a thrill, try it sometime.  Nothing like it! But other days, like today, I have to remind myself of my purpose.  Center myself again by looking to Jesus.  Somehow I can't walk crooked while I'm gazing at Him - it just doesn't happen!

So...take a peek into my day.  I taught sewing class yesterday again, and this time we were working on cutting out dresses.  Laying the patterns on the fabric so as to spare as much fabric as possible, pinning the fabric down, painstakingly cutting around the pattern.  Those big, sharp scissors were making me nervous, as I let the girls attack their newest project.  That was nice polyester dress fabric...but the perfectionist in me has to let go and let them learn.  It's not a disaster to loose three yards of fabric; but it IS a disaster for the girls to remember their first times sewing by that piece of cloth they ruined. ;)  They're more important!

Did you know that you can run a sewing machine as fast as it will go, and it will smell like burning oil?  I didn't.  But we found out yesterday at sewing class!  What about the sound of nice, sharp metal scissors opening and closing endlessly (while I was trying to teach another student...patience is not her virtue...)  - did you ever think that it sounds like a Goodwill shopping trip?  Neither did I.  But come to think of it, it's remarkably accurate! It's amazing the things we learn at sewing class! :)

And we also enjoy our miniature, in-home steaming geyser. (More commonly known as a steam iron)  My lessons have been interrupted numerous times by sudden and impulsive peals of laughter as the steam iron spits out a cloud of steam.  At first it was a terrifying thing, but now that they're getting used to the iron, it's just so much fun to steam it into the air and watch the cloud dissipate.  Sewing class? Absolutely!

Anyway, I think you get the point. We have alot of fun at sewing class, and this teacher has learned a thing or two in the process as well!  There's joy in watching little minds understand something for the first time.  We're building relationships, learning to appreciate and love each other.  That's precious, and it's going to last over the years - even if they do forget to back-stitch. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment