Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 and my one life to live ..

    Well,  it's the first day of 2012, and I thought that warranted a post here. Yesterday I thought about the tradition of making New-Year's-Resolutions-That-I-Never-Keep, and that seemed pretty lame to me. I don't believe in resolving to do something that I know I'll not do past next week.  :)
    But regardless, I was really challenged by the suggestion to pick one of Jonathan Edward's Resolutions (http://dailychristianquote.com/dcqresolve.html) as a goal for this coming year.  Having read much of Jonathan Edward's writings and sermons, I have a high regard for his life and testimony, and have been incredibly blessed by his humility and heart after God.
  So I picked one of his resolutions as something that I want to remember throughout this coming year, and the rest of my life: "Resolved, never, henceforth, till I die, to act as if I were any way my own, but entirely and altogether God's."  And also, right along with that, was the second resolution: "Resolved, to endeavor to obtain for myself as much happiness in the other world, as I possibly can, with all the might, power, vigor, and vehemence, yea violence, I am capable of, or can bring myself to exert, in any way ... "  
    That's what I want in this next year.  That's what I want in my life.  To live life with all I've got - I like that word violence in this context - for the glory of God, in a way that speaks of my owned-ness, with as much might and power and vigor and violence that I'm capable of. In Jonathan Edward's words, "to live with all my might while I do live." 
    I'd love to hear what God has put in your hearts, as you look towards another new year. What's your goals, visions, desires?

No comments:

Post a Comment